[rabbitmq-discuss] Exclusive Producers?

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 10:23:27 GMT 2014

Hi,

Maybe there's an easier solution, but you could try this:

- Create a queue called "lock" (or whatever name suits you) and
publish just one message to it, which will be the token producers need
to obtain in order to publish messages.
- Start your producers and make them consume just one message from
that queue, ie basic_qos(prefetch-count=1), also tell RabbitMQ that
you will ack the messages. The first producer arriving at the queue
will grab the "token". The other producers will sit idle, waiting for
said token.
- When the producer receives the "token", then it can start publishing
to the actual queue where you want the messages.
- If that consumer crashes or is shut down, then the "token" will be
requeued and some other of your backup producers will grab it, so it
can start publishing.
- if the producer wishes to stop, it can basic_reject(requeue=true)
the "token", so another producer can grab it and start publishing.

Regards,

Alvaro