[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering setup - Inputs

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 17 08:33:24 GMT 2014

On 14/02/2014 8:06PM, Arun Rao wrote:
> Hi Simon -
>
> That was a wealth of information. I was trying to add this to one of
> your blogs which would benefit all the readers but I couldnt find a
> relevant topic. I will see where I can publish this information so it
> will be useful for everyone.

Thanks. I'm intending to write a series of small blog posts on topics
like these once 3.3.0 is released, by the way.

> Regarding this discussion -
>
>  > setting basic.qos (which causes message delivery [queue] ->
> [consuming channel] to be synchronous inside the cluster).
>
> what if the RabbitMQ client defines the channel as used only for
> Consuming or Publishing or both publishing and consuming. I do not know
> if there is a provision in AMQP or RabbitMQ can customize that.

No, there's no way to make a channel publish-only or consume-only. When
I refer to "consuming channel" I just mean "channel that's consuming".

> When a channel from a (RabbitMQ client) consumer is defined as consumer
> only, then there is no effect of this channel (connected from RabbitMQ
> client to slave node queue), because replicated queues can only be
> consumed from Master node. Will this provide async consumer replication?

Well, there are two different things here - replicating messages from
the queue master to the queue slaves (which is always asynchronous) and
delivering messages from the master to consumers (which as noted
previously is synchronous if basic.qos has been set).

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal