[rabbitmq-discuss] Metric egress/ingress rates

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 11 16:19:54 GMT 2014

On 11/02/14 15:29, Vyacheslav Artyukhov wrote:
> What does the metrics 'avg_ack_ingress_rate' and 'avg_ack_egress_rate'
> exactly means? I have an idle queue that has these metrics of values
> about '164'. I have no idea why..

They are part of backing_queue_status, about which we don't make many
guarantees of consistency. It's mostly there for debugging.

In particular, the management plugin will report the
backing_queue_status the queue had at the moment it went idle. This
means the fields ending in '_rates' do not need to be 0 if the queue is
idle.

Their specific meaning is "rate at which the queue added messages to its
internal structure for unacknowledged messages" and "rate at which the
queue forgot messages from the same structure".

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal