[rabbitmq-discuss] multiple message listeners on a single reply queue

Vadakkeveedu, Thara Thara.Vadakkeveedu at Kronos.com
Thu Feb 6 18:27:21 GMT 2014

Thank you!!

Thara Vadakkeveedu | Performance Engineer | Kronos Incorporated
tel: +1 978 947 4123
Kronos | Time & Attendance * Scheduling * Absence Management * HR & Payroll * Hiring * Labor Analytics
Join Kronos on: kronos.com<http://www.kronos.com/> | Facebook<http://www.kronos.com/facebook> | Twitter<http://www.kronos.com/twitter> | LinkedIn<http://www.kronos.com/linkedin> | YouTube<http://www.kronos.com/youtube>

From: rabbitmq-discuss [mailto:rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com] On Behalf Of Gary Russell
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:22 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] multiple message listeners on a single reply queue

You cannot share reply queues across instances; unlike JMS, AMQP has no notion of a message selector to choose messages from a queue, so each instance needs its own reply queue.

When the reply goes to the wrong instance, the originating instance thread will be suspended for (default) 5 seconds (modifiable by setting replyTimeout).

You can increase throughput by increasing the concurrency on the listener containers.

The upcoming 1.3 release of spring-AMQP allows the concurrency to vary on demand; with 1.2.x you have to stop/start the container to change the concurrency.