[rabbitmq-discuss] Fedrating Queues not behaving as expected?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Feb 5 16:16:27 GMT 2014

On 05/02/2014 4:10PM, k.madnani84 wrote:
> So we are good till now.Next what i read is messages flow from Upstream to
> downstream.That means in my case from Cluster2 to Cluster1.So i published
> message in Cluster2 and tried to consume it from Cluster1 but i get a
> response while consuming from Cluster1 that the queue is empty.

If you get a response when "consuming", do you mean you are invoking
basic.get rather than basic.consume?

 From http://www.rabbitmq.com/federated-queues.html:

"basic.get cannot retrieve messages over federation if there aren't any
in a local queue (on the node the client is connected to). Since
basic.get is a synchronous method, the node serving a request would have
to block while contacting all the other nodes to retrieve more messages.
This wouldn't sit well with federation's availability promise (partition
tolerance)."

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen