[rabbitmq-discuss] Windows RabbitMQ Cluster

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Apr 22 07:26:13 BST 2014

On 21/04/14 15:24, Wouter Bosland wrote:
> 6. run the command: ''rabbitmqctl join_cluster rabbit at master'' on
> machine 2 (slave)
>
> Clustering node 'rabbit at WIN-PK8SONHOIBH' with rabbit at master ...
> Error: unable to connect to nodes [rabbit at master]: nodedown
> [...]
> *If I try the other way around clustering master to slave I get:*
>
> Clustering node 'rabbit at WIN-2BQPAJ1S03R' with rabbit at slave ...
> Error: unable to connect to nodes [rabbit at slave]: nodedown
> [...]
>    * suggestion: hostname mismatch?
>    * suggestion: is the cookie set correctly?
> [...]
> *The cookie hash is the same so what could be the problem?*

See the 2nd suggestion :)

It appears that your nodes know themselves as rabbit at WIN-<...>, but you
attempt to address them as rabbit@{master,slave}.

Now, evidently master/slave do resolve, since rabbitmqctl can find the
machine, but for communication to succeed the name of the node must
match how it is being addressed.

So either address nodes by their WIN-<...> name or alter the node name
on startup by setting RABBITMQ_NODENAME.

Matthias.