[rabbitmq-discuss] trouble starting 3.3.0 on FreeBSD 9.2

Dan Langille dvl at biglist.com
Thu Apr 10 18:05:06 BST 2014

On Apr 10, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Dan Langille <dvl at biglist.com> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/04/14 17:22, Dan Langille wrote:
>>>           {{{badmatch,
>>>                 {error,
>>>                     {"/var/db/rabbitmq/mnesia/bunny at sally/msg_stor...",
>>>                      eacces}}}
>>
>> eacces -> the server did not have permission to read (or write?) the Mnesia directory.

[snip]

> drwxr-xr-x  2 root      rabbitmq      3 Apr 10 15:32 /var/db/rabbitmq/mnesia/bunny at sally/msg_store_transient

[snip]

> I have a feeling that errant file may have been created by my own misdoings.  But I'm willing to test that by trying this again on a new host.  I'll report back soon.

I have tried this again on a clean host, installing the same packages.  I did not encounter the same problem.  I am not sure how the root chown'd directory happened, but I think we will all agree it was my fault.

For what it's worth, when I was testing with this:

NODENAME=bunny at 192.168.11.54

The server would not start:

# service rabbitmq onestart
Warning: PID file not written; -detached was passed.
Error: unable to connect to node 'bunny at 192.168.11.54': nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

attempted to contact: ['bunny at 192.168.11.54']

bunny at 192.168.11.54:
  * bunny seems not to be running at all
  * other nodes on 192.168.11.54: [rabbitmqctl26754]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl26754 at testing
- home dir: /var/db/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: oGo1EYRWNeUldVp0J/8vcw==

However, when I added an entry for testing in /etc/hosts and switched to:

NODENAME=bunny at testing

... the server would start.