[rabbitmq-discuss] Does rabbitmq support publishing message with a wildcard?

qihang zhang qihangzp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:02:30 BST 2014

Hi all,
Does rabbitmq support publishing message with wildcard?
Something I wish like this:
          declare(exchange, 'topic')

bind(q1, exchange, 'user1.client1')
bind(q2, exchange, 'user1.client2')
bind(q3, exchange, 'user1.client3')

exchange.publish(msg, routing_key='user1.*')  # all of q1, q2, q3 would
receive this msg
exchange.publish(msg, routing_key='user1.client1')  # only q1 would receive
this msg

I read the doc and searched about this, found it seems that only binding
with wildcart is supported,
Now I have to write codes like:

declare(exchange_fanout, 'fanout')

bind(q1,  exchange_fanout)
bind(q2,  exchange_fanout)
bind(q3,  exchange_fanout)

declare(exchange_direct, 'direct')
bind(q1, exchange_direct, 'user1.client1')
bind(q2, exchange_direct, 'user1.client2')
bind(q3, exchange_direct, 'user1.client3')

exchange_fanout.publish(msg)  # all of q1, q2, q3 would receive this msg

exchange_direct.publish(msg, routing_key='user1.client1')  # only q1 would
receive this msg

Is there other clearer way to do these? I think this is a pretty common
thing when we want publish msgs peer-to-peer and peer-to-group.
Many thanks! :)