[rabbitmq-discuss] Undelivered messages at Ready queue.

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 30 09:24:45 BST 2013

On sep 30, 2013, at 8:31 a.m., Rohit Patle <Rohit.Patel2 at techmahindra.com> wrote:

> 1. BUT I am observing that my client listener queues(at server) is getting removed(vanished) even I am not shutting down my client app. What could be the reason?

You may be declaring queues as exclusive, then they will be removed when the connection
that declared them closes (possibly due to a network partition, not application action).

Or you may be declaring them as auto-delete, in which case they are removed when the last
consumer is cancelled.

Finally, queues can have fixed life time.

> My app is an app which supposed to be run 24x7x356. same for server as well. How to establish reliable connection between server and client so that there should not be any communication break ? Please suggest.

One way is to detect failures you can recover from (e.g. network failures), reconnect and recover (redeclare, rebind)
your topology. This varies from client to client, e.g. Ruby and Clojure clients support automatic recovery while
Java client requires developers to explicitly inspect shutdown reason.

If you connect to RabbitMQ over WAN, you may want to run a local node and connect it to the
remote WAN one with Shovel [1] and use the local node. Shovel will recover from network failures
gracefully and connection loss with a LAN-local machine is less likely.

> 2. My message from client is not getting delivered to the server and they reside at Server queues(ready state). If I try sending message again from client, my server listener is not able to receive  any more client messages as the client published messages are getting accumulated in server ready queue.

The first screenshot indicates that there are delivered messages but they are not acknowledged.
The second one only has queues with messages ready. Are the two states related two each other?

Did you check that the queues with messages have consumers? If you use basic.get instead of
basic.consume, then it sounds like a consumer application issue.

MK