[rabbitmq-discuss] msg_store_transient usage question

Peter Wright pwright at rubiconproject.com
Thu Sep 26 04:37:03 BST 2013

hello,
i was hoping someone could help explain to me under what circumstances
messages are written to the msg_store_transient directory.  i have been
witnessing this directory grow to 10's of GB - infact it spun out of
control at one point consuming almost 100G of space.  i do have a queue
with quite a few messages ready for consumption, yet when i monitor memory
utilization for this queue it rarely spikes above 20MB.

my understading from reading the documentation is that transient messages
are only written to disk when memory has been exhausted or put under
pressure, yet beam.smp is only consuming a fraction of available resident
memory.

our configuration for reference is:
erlang = R16B
rabbitMQ = 2.8.7