[rabbitmq-discuss] Fine-grained LDAP access to resources

James M. jamesmcc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 18:17:06 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Simon MacMullen wrote:

> However, I'd be reluctant to merge this; conceptually it's very specific
to your use case - what if you want to match something other than up to the
first '.'? What if you want to do that on something other than the resource
name?

> No, I imagined that. They should though :-)
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, the compiler didn't complain but
your way does makes more sense. I've updated the gist to reflect the
changes if anyone is following along.

As for use case specificity, I can see your point. Although, I'm struggling
to come up with a case where you would want to use a tokenized version of
anything other than name. Assuming name is the only thing that makes sense
you could potentially have a new attribute called 'prefix_delimiter' which
would be sent to the tokens function. If you wanted to add more
customization there could be 'prefix_depth' as well which controlled how
many tokens were returned.

These would be global settings but they do have a parallel to the native
user permission regex matching which I think makes sense. Going inline with
the logic like you mentioned would be flexible but I'm not sure how helpful
it would be to have individual delimiters for different resource types.
Delimiters seem like they would be more of a global decision for the entire
broker once a proper group name convention was decided on.