[rabbitmq-discuss] Problems with RabbitMQ installlation and startup

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 23 10:35:25 BST 2013

On 20/09/2013 23:20, Allan Baker wrote:
> One thing to mention is that the scripts /etc/init.d/rabbit-mqserver and
> /usr/sbin/rabbit-mqserver give the same error.
> However, interestingly enough, if you run
> /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/rabbitmq-server:

<snip>

> It works! What could be wrong with the startup scripts? I attach them
> also to see
> if there's something there that could be useful.

The main difference in starting in these two ways is that the server is
run as root in the latter case, rather than the "rabbitmq" user. The
failed startup also failed due to "undef" - i.e. the Erlang VM could not
find the definition for a module.

I therefore wonder if the permissions of the server code have been
changed somehow so that the "rabbitmq" user can't read it. If so, the
easiest way to fix the permissions is probably to remove the deb and
reinstall it.

Cheers, Simon