[rabbitmq-discuss] SSL_TIMEOUT

Dmitry Andrianov dmitry.andrianov at alertme.com
Wed Sep 18 11:30:55 BST 2013

Matthias,
DNS we can fix for sure.
But we cannot make 200Mhz CPU run any faster.

On 18/09/13 11:15, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> On 18/09/13 11:04, Dmitry Andrianov wrote:
>> We are experiencing troubles with Java clients connecting to Rabbit over
>> SSL. Two problems caused by the very same issue:
>> * When DNS server takes more than 5 seconds in reverse resolving IP
>> address back to name, Rabbit aborts the connection. I assume Java SSL
>> layer does that lookup AFTER the TCP connection is already established
>> in order to decide which client certificate to provide.
>> * When Java client is running on a limited processing power hardware, it
>> again takes it more than 5 seconds to finish the SSL handshake and
>> again, Rabbit server resets the connection.
>>
>> I saw that reply from Emile which states SSL_TIMEOUT is not configurable
>> http://rabbitmq.1065348.n5.nabble.com/Request-Handshake-Timeout-Increase-tt11342.html#a11346
>>
>> And as I see in the sources, nothing has changed since then.
>>
>> So my question is - do you have any plans for fixing it in the near future?
> We have no immediate plans of making the timeout configurable. That's
> not to say we won't.
>
>> Are there any options we can modify it at runtime without rebuilding
>> Rabbit?
> Nope.
>
>> Timeout of 5s is just too short really.
> 5 seconds is a loooooong time. I suggest you look into why DNS queries
> are taking so long in your set up.
>
> Matthias.

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this email without the
author's prior permission. AlertMe.com Ltd. is not responsible for any personal views expressed
in this message or any attachments that are those of the individual sender.

AlertMe.com Ltd, 30 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2RE, UK.
Registered in England, Company number 578 2908, VAT registration number GB 895 9914 42.