[rabbitmq-discuss] designing and developing a feed system with rabbitmq

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Tue Sep 17 09:50:47 BST 2013

On sep 17, 2013, at 7:52 a.m., Iyenemi Tyger <tyger2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) if I am to design a system like twitter for example , how do I map the users to rabbitmq so they can recieve instant feeds

RabbitMQ is good for inter-app communication but it's not really a database.

You can use one queue or one queue per user but in the end there has to be an app (or multiple apps) that consumes those messages and stores them somewhere.

Activity collection is certainly a very common use case, see [1] and [2] [3].

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlNS5Ohf6w
2. http://shelby.tv/video/vimeo/66303052/nosql-matters-cologne-2013-day2-track1-03-sebastian-roebke-stefan-kaes
3. http://2013.nosql-matters.org/cgn/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013-04-27-Triple-R-NoSQLMatters2013-Compact.pdf

As a general advice, you can start with 1 queue and once that queue gets congested, move to
multiple queues (e.g. using consistent hashing exchange) and more consumer apps.

MK