[rabbitmq-discuss] Strange behaviour of RabbitMQ or client when network problems occurs

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 13 07:28:26 BST 2013

On 13/09/13 07:03, Haster wrote:
> why after such problems order of messages changes?
> For example I send 1,2,3,4,5 messages (prefetch count is 20) and on 6
> message I have problem...

By "problem" do you mean the client disconnects and reconnects?

And when you reconnect, has rabbitmq definitely seen the old connection
disappear? Check the server logs for the sequencing of the
connect/disconnect events.

> After network problem the next processed message is 25, but not 6.
> RabbitMQ paste unack message to the end of a queue?

Not in recent versions. though there are some caveats. See
http://www.rabbitmq.com/semantics.html#ordering

If you have a scenario where you think the ordering semantics defined on
that page is violated, then capture a trace with the RabbitMQ protocol
tracer (http://www.rabbitmq.com/api-guide.html#tracer), inspect the
output, and if after that you still think there is a problem then post
the trace here.

Matthias.