[rabbitmq-discuss] Getting SocketTimeoutException on java Producer client during load testing

Sean Stephens errant01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:01:22 BST 2013

I am getting the following "caused by" stack on an IO Exception occuring in
my send method on the basicPublish call.

Caused by: com.rabbitmq.client.ShutdownSignalException: connection error;
reason: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Timeout during Connection
negotiation
        at
com.rabbitmq.utility.ValueOrException.getValue(ValueOrException.java:67)
        at
com.rabbitmq.utility.BlockingValueOrException.uninterruptibleGetValue(BlockingValueOrException.java:33)
        at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQChannel$BlockingRpcContinuation.getReply(AMQChannel.java:343)
        at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQConnection.start(AMQConnection.java:313)
        ... 87 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Timeout during Connection
negotiation
        at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQConnection.handleSocketTimeout(AMQConnection.java:566)
        at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQConnection.access$500(AMQConnection.java:59)
        at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQConnection$MainLoop.run(AMQConnection.java:541)

My belief at this point is that my producer load has overrun the connection
factory pool in writing to the queues.

I have been unable to locate information on settings related to the
connection factory pool to make it larger or change the timeout.  When the
connections do timeout, it doesn't look like the pool catches up unless I
kill the Producer application.  Anyone have advice on how to get past this
issue? Is there a way to throttle the load at the Producer connection, or
will it be necessary to just add more nodes to handle the incoming load?

I have not implemented "confirms" yet, because it seems that will only
provide a way to solve message loss, not prevent connection failure under
load. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks in advance for your help.