[rabbitmq-discuss] losing messages

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Wed Sep 11 16:15:42 BST 2013

Grenier,Michel [CMC]:

> When I stop my consumer the exchange is deleted in the rabbitmq server
> (rabbitmq-management shows that)
> even if the publishers are still feeding ???   Is this normal ?

I assume you use use auto-delete queues as well, so when your consumer goes away,
the queue is deleted, so is the binding, and you *auto-delete* exchange goes away as well,
regardless of whether there are attempts to publish messages to that exchange.

> Restarting the consumer, the exchange is "recreated"  but it seems that
> some (or sometimes all) the bindings with the publishers
> are broken ???

If the exchange was deleted, how can the bindings be around?

Sounds like you want an non-auto-delete exchange. Queues can be auto-deleted
if you really need them to be, however, if there are no queues bound to an exchange, attempts
to publish a message there will result in messages going nowhere by default.

You can publish with mandatory = true or use AE extension [1], or make queues stick around.

1. http://www.rabbitmq.com/ae.html

MK