[rabbitmq-discuss] Upgrading of RabbitMq clusters connected with federation plugin from 2.8.7 to version 3.1.0

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Oct 21 10:45:24 BST 2013

On 17/10/2013 3:41PM, Viraj Gupte wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have two rabbitmq clusters A and B connected to each other via
> federation plugin in bidirectional manner.Both of them run version 2.8.7.
>   I am planning to upgrade  cluster A to 3.1.0 to check how federation
> works with the cluster with 2.8.7 version(cluster B).
> What should be my approach so as to keep the federation config intact on
> cluster A along with messages and queues

Federation does not require that brokers be the same version. So you can
upgrade clusters A and B at different times.

Note that the federation configuration mechanism changed in 3.0.0 so you
will need to redo the federation config in each cluster as you upgrade
it; see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/11/19/breaking-things-with-rabbitmq-3-0/

Cheers, Simon

--