[rabbitmq-discuss] Newbie question

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Thu Oct 17 18:28:23 BST 2013

On oct 17, 2013, at 8:22 p.m., Christian Rodriguez <CRodriguez at bn.com> wrote:

> ·         Need an architectural diagram for hardware and any specific roles

RabbitMQ nodes in a cluster don't have any roles (broadly speaking, some nodes host
management database statistics but it's not particularly important). So you can consider
to be "all the same".

> ·         Broker, exchange, queue servers,  Do these functions all run in one server?

They are all stored in the internal database of a node. There are no separate queue nodes
or exchange nodes.

See http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/amqp-concepts.html just in case.

> ·         Need to worry about HA and failover,

Not sure what exactly do you mean but take a look at

http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/ha.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/shovel.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/reliability.html

> ·         If cluster is setup, do I need shared storage or can the data live in each node, best practice???

You don't need to provide shared storage and if you want to achieve high availability
and good throughput, it's not a good idea.

> ·         I understand the software and data needs to co-exist on the same volume or disk as the OS as one large disk, is this true.  I’d rather install the OS RHEL and software data in different drives, best practice???

You can move RabbitMQ database, configuration and so on to a separate volume if you
really need to, see

http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-rpm.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html

> ·         Does rabbit MQ benefit from a fusion-io storage card?  Or as long as there is memory I am covered???

If you publish messages as persistent (stored on disk), you will likely benefit from flash storage
at high message rates. If not, it won't make much difference.

MK