[rabbitmq-discuss] amqp connection vs channels vs sockets vs file descriptor

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 10 09:09:47 BST 2013

On Oct 10, 2013, at 8:55 AM, sagu prf <sagu.prf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why number of sockets are utilized in high number (established state)
> ? why number of connections/channels are more than sockets ?

RabbitMQ uses file handles to store messages on disk and so on, not just
sockets.

Channels are just integers on the wire and were added to the protocol
to reduce the amount of TCP connections needed for concurrent applications
using AMQP 0-9-1 clients. See

http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/amqp-concepts.html

for the overview.

> how we can reduce /close these connections ?

Use a single or low[er] number of connections and more channels.

MK