[rabbitmq-discuss] abnormally large memory use in "binaries"

Brian Hammond brianin3d at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 20:23:06 BST 2013

I've been seeing a problem on and off with rabbitmq using a ton of memory with few messages which is suddenly much worse today.

This morning, I upgraded to (RabbitMQ 3.1.5.41008, Erlang R14B04) using the nightly build from 08-Oct-2013.

About 6 hours later I have 19GB of memory in use with 800 messages.

According to the management console, the messages are using up 2mb and 19GB is in "binaries".

Is this a known issue that is being actively investigated?

I'm happy to provide addition details if it will help work towards a resolution.