[rabbitmq-discuss] integration with jboss 5.1 as

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 8 16:08:24 BST 2013

Greg,

On 8 Oct 2013, at 15:53, Greg Nieman wrote:
> OK, so you have a bunch of messages in RabbitMQ.  How are they going to get consumed by JBoss?  The container wants a JMS message so it can call it's MDB's.  But in the classic case what it's getting those messages from is a JMS queue in that same container.

Really? I thought it was just attaching to a (possibly durable) consumer?

>  Or alternatively, I'm pretty sure it's possible to create a Resource Adapter that consumes from a non-installed message broker.

Indeed.

>  I know, for instance you can consume from ActiveMQ and route the messages to Glassfish MDB's.  But you have to write a Resource Adapter first.  I would expect something similar for JBoss.  In which you'd create an adapter using the RabbitMQ JMS client that would consumer the messages from the RabbitMQ server and get them into to a usable format for your MDB's.

I see what you mean. I've not had to dig into JBoss enough to know whether this is really the case, but if it is necessary to provide a Resource Adapter in order to bind to a JMS compliant messaging component in order to use MDBs in JBoss, then that's probably something that the person wanting to use MDBs in JBoss will need to do.

> But I don't know.  That seems like an awful lot of work.  Even more than you'd be saving by reusing some existing JMS codebase.  Seems like it would be easier to just use Spring AMQP to consume from the Rabbit queue and rework the MDB code base so they consume as pojos perhaps.

+1, IMHO.

I really wasn't aware of the requirement to build a custom Resource Adapter though - I though the MDB implementation(s) provided that OOTB for any compliant JMS interface.

Cheers,
Tim