[rabbitmq-discuss] Long timeout if server host becomes unreachable

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 8 10:58:00 BST 2013

On oct 8, 2013, at 1:49 p.m., Oleg Lyalikov <oleg.lyalikov at gmail.com> wrote:

> So for me it looks like the RabbitMQ client library should provide possibility to set such write timeout - maybe using the same Heartbeat thread (for now this thread is blocked on "writeFrame" method like all other threads waiting freeing the lock on outputStream object).
>
> By the way I still cannot imagine any workaround for this issue but it's really critical for us. Do you think there are some?

Have you tried using heartbeats with a low value (say, single digit seconds)? It was created
exactly for the case when a peer goes away and TCP retransmission covers the fact.

RabbitMQ Java client pretty much has to synchronize writes to the socket. You can share connection
between threads w/o realizing so, e.g. by publishing from a consumer callback such
as handleDelivery.

MK