[rabbitmq-discuss] profiling

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 09:28:20 BST 2013

You could also use erlang's built in tracing, though the timings wouldn't be highly accurate. Both approaches would require a pretty deep understanding of the code base to make sense of.

In most cases, it's better to measure things from an overall system standpoint, unless you're trying to benchmark internal changes to the broker.

So, what is it the OP is trying to do wih these numbers? Presumably there's some goal which the performance measurements and intended to help meet? What are we trying to achieve here? I don't remember having to benchmark tomcat or Postgres internals like that, when trying to make architectural decisions or plan SLAs around those technologies, some I'm curious why benchmarking rabbit at such a low level is desirable outside the development team. Not that we're opposed to folks doing this mind you - I'm quite happy to share some info about how to use erlang's tracing, dtrace/system-tap, etop and other tools of you're really keen on doing so. I just wonder why our MulticastMain performance measurememt tool isn't enough for your benchmarking requirements.

Cheers,
Tim