[rabbitmq-discuss] How RabbitMQ handles the messages in case of crash ?

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 4 11:10:45 BST 2013

On oct 4, 2013, at 1:49 p.m., Mandy <mandyce2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Sender sends message to Receiver.
> 2. Receiver's callBack method gets called which retrieves the message send
> by the Sender.
> 3. Receiver gets crashed.
> 4. Sender keep sending the messages.
> 5. Receiver gets restarted.
> Now the expected result is the messages sent by sender ( which I checked
> using  command : 'rabbitmqctl list_queues' ) and which are reflected in the
> queues needs to be sent to receiver.
> But these messages are not delivered to Receiver.
>
> So, I want to know is there any way to retrieve these messages ?

As long as the queue(s) used are not deleted when the consumer fails,
new messages will be routed there and will happily sit there waiting
for consumers to come back up.

If you use manual acknowledgements, all unacknowledged messages
will be requeued as soon as rabbitmq notices that consumer connect
(technically, channel) is closed.

MK