[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue getting emptied and I don't know why...

michi.oshima moshima at advent.com
Fri Oct 4 06:38:48 BST 2013

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a very basic feature of RabbitMQ/AMQP, but I need help
because I don't know what is going on.

I set up a slow consumer (a subscription calling Next(...); .net client)
which can consume a message every 2 seconds.  Its queue is bound to
amq.topic exchange.

I would send 50 message in batch to the queue.  The consumer would start
retrieving messages.  I would terminate the consumer after, say, receiving
the first 5 messages.  Then I would check the number of messages left in
queue, and it would be 0.  The remaining 45 unprocessed messages are gone.

I would do the above experiment while monitoring the queue size on the
management plugin.  (management plugin has 5 second refresh rate.)  The
queue size would stay at 0, the 50 messages doesn't even register.

I thought no-ack and prefetch might have something to do with this.  I have
no-ack == false and prefetch = 1.  They don't seem to make any difference.

I'm trying not to lose the 45 unprocessed messages.  Any idea what I'm doing
wrong?