[rabbitmq-discuss] binding key

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 3 19:07:22 BST 2013

On oct 3, 2013, at 10:00 p.m., "PATAR, SAGAR" <sp345s at att.com> wrote:

> There are some messages which doesn’t have any binding key … I am not sure how to route the messages without binding key or undefined or  wrong binding key for which binding is not defined ….

Some exchange types (e.g. fanout) do not use routing keys at all. Are you sure that you need routing
keys?

If a message cannot be routed anywhere, there are several options:

 * If it's published as mandatory, it will be returned to the client
 * If there is an alternate exchange specified, it will be tried
 * Finally, the message will be discarded

You need to choose the right exchange type and one of the options above for unroutable messages
according to the topology you want to build. RabbitMQ tutorial demonstrate several very
common scenarios.

> I don’t want to consume all the messages just the one’s which are not bind

Bindings matter during routing. Once a message is routed to one or more queues,
it can be consumed regardless of the routing key.

MK