[rabbitmq-discuss] Network partitions

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 3 10:21:03 BST 2013

On 03/10/2013 2:27AM, Alvaro Videla wrote:
> While I don't know about your exact problem keep in mind that a GC pause
> could appear as a network partition.

Err, what? Where did you get that idea?

> Also on some situation very big messages can cause network partitions
> since Erlang nodes won't be able to ping each other.

This is sadly still true. I had some idea that this was fixed in recent
Erlang versions but I just tested with R16B01 and it's not.

It's pretty hard to run into though - you need to be sending huge enough
messages that each message takes a multiple of net_ticktime (i.e. by
default 60 seconds) to transfer.

I was only able to replicate it by building a cluster across a
poor-quality wifi link. Which is obviously not recommended.

Still, even the theoretical possibility is disquieting, so I think a
future RabbitMQ release will chunk large messages across clusters.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal