[rabbitmq-discuss] How to assure response even if rpc server goes down.

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Tue Nov 26 22:14:06 GMT 2013

On 26 Nov 2013, at 23:35, Alfonso Alvz <alfonso.alvz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there's is a way to make the messages persistent in case the server fails?. If the client sends a message with no server running, it stays there awaiting for the response and it doesn't get anything once the server goes up again..

Accumulate messages in the client and re-publish them when a new connection is up. Note that to really
make this work you’ll need to have a WAL (write-ahead log) of messages on disk to significantly reduce
message loss probability when your publisher crashes, runs out of memory, etc.

> Having a configuration like this:
> If the server disappears, is there a way to resume the process whenever the server is up again?

Some clients support automatic recovery but currently don’t provide WAL’s. 3rd party projects built on top
of clients (e.g. Hutch, Celery or EasyNetQ) may choose to provide WAL and more advanced features
but it is currently out of scope for the protocol clients.

Message durability controls whether the message will be stored on disk by RabbitMQ. It has no effect
on what happens when you publish messages on a closed connection.

MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ