[rabbitmq-discuss] Renaming upstream queues using a pattern

Chris stuff at moesel.net
Wed Nov 20 16:23:03 GMT 2013

While I could configure the upstreams using HTTP API, I don't think this
would be very desirable.  It might be good in a scenario where things are
very well-defined and you only have a few federated queues, but this is not
my case.

For each queue I would have to:
* define a new upstream with desired upstream queue name
* repeat above for each upstream broker
* define an upstream set containing the queue-specific upstreams I just
created
* define a new policy applying the upstream set to the specific federated
queue

So... on a broker that has 5 upstream brokers, each federated queue would
require 5 new upstreams, 1 new upstream set, and 1 new policy.  I might
have hundreds of federated queues, so this could get rather unwieldy.

To complicate matters, if I ever wanted to add another upstream broker (and
I might!), I would then need to detect all of the federated queues somehow,
loop through them all creating new queue-specific upstreams, and modify all
the upstream sets to add the new upstreams.

On the other hand, if an upstream had a property for applying a regular
expression substitution pattern, that would be awesome.  Then I could just
define the upstream queue as something like "s/(.+)/\1.upstream", and
that's it!

I guess this is a feature request then. ;-)

-Chris