[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchange Feature request: Drop Duplicates

Matthias Reik maze at reik.se
Mon Nov 11 19:22:57 GMT 2013

Even though it sounds like a nice feature, it is probably difficult to
really implement, if not done on the client side. The duplicates might
happen when delivering to the client side. but on the client side it
should be quite easy to do the filtering:
* get a message from the queue,
* check against memcached (couchbase, or some other cache technology)
whether the messageID exists.
* Add the new message to memcached (can be done with the previous step)
* Set the timeout in memcached to your window size.

This should be straight forward, would scale up to quite a lot of
messages) and should remove (depending on your window size) all duplicates.

Is there a good reason why you wouldn't want to do this on the client
side as described?

Cheers
Matthias

PS: as a caching technology you could of course do your own
in-memory-solution but that's probably more work than to use an
out-of-the-box solution.