[rabbitmq-discuss] webmachine error

Ceri Storey ceri at lshift.net
Fri Nov 8 10:55:54 GMT 2013

(08/11/13 08:27), Simon MacMullen wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 9:38PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> We already know that the HTTP API breaks for queues with malformed
>> names (i.e., names that are not UTF-8) -
>> http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2013-October/031505.html.
>>
>> This looks like the same bug or similar.
>
> Yeah, looks like it.
>
> The AMQP (and STOMP and MQTT) specs all say that names should be
> encoded in UTF-8 (and usually don't provide a way to specify an
> alternate encoding, so it's not obvious what an invalid UTF-8 byte
> sequence could be taken to mean).
>
> Unfortunately the broker does not enforce this. A future version
> probably will.
If we submit a patch for this, could we it get folded into a minor
release in the 3.2.x series? For example, a partial workaround would be
to percent-encode non-utf-8 queue names (and percents) before passing
them to the JSON machinary. I'd guess you'd be wary of changing the name
validation in a minor release, though.