[rabbitmq-discuss] Non-ascii characters in user's profile path. OS: Windows 7.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 8 08:34:08 GMT 2013

 From what I recall when I last looked at this, it was more of an Erlang
issue.

Erlang pretty much assumes that UTF-8 is the one true encoding. On Unix
that's a fairly reasonable assumption. Unfortunately Windows still tends
to use country-specific encodings for things like paths. I'm not sure
there's a very good solution to this, certainly not from the RabbitMQ
side; either Windows needs to start using UTF-8 everywhere (which I
*think* is happening) or Erlang needs to start supporting lots of other
encodings (which I doubt will every happen).

Cheers, Simon

On 07/11/2013 10:49AM, adaml wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please consider user named "Dział techniczny" (Tech department).
> It has an administrative privileges. So, I'm installing RabbitMQ under
> that user.
> Here's the problem:
> I'm unable to start the RabbitMQ service, when the path to the user's
> profile contains non-ascii characters.
> Is there any way to avoid editing Registry (I can change startup paths
> in Args key) or installing RabbitMQ as different user in the future?
>
> RabbitMQ version: 3.0.1
> Erlang version: R15B03-1
>
> Best Regards,
> adaml