[rabbitmq-discuss] consuming a message from exchange does not seem to work on java client (3.2.0 as well as 3.1.5)

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Mon Nov 4 17:09:54 GMT 2013

On 4 Nov 2013, at 21:04, Murugesan Guruswamy <murugesan at elementum.com> wrote:

> But I am actually creating a durable exchange when publishing. Shouldn't it leave the messages in the exchange. Why should the messages be dropped?
>
> I am publishing first to the exchange which is durable.

Standard exchange types are not message containers. They are routing tables and if there are no bindings,
one of the following will happen:

 * Messages published as mandatory will be returned to the client
 * Exchanges that have alternate exchange configured will republish the message there.
 * Message will be dropped.

Exchange durability controls whether it will exist after broker restart.
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ