[rabbitmq-discuss] [ANN] Sneakers - a performance-centric Ruby / RabbitMQ background processing framework

jondot dipidi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 21:05:20 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to make a first announcement for something I've been working -
Sneakers.
You can check it out at

http://sneakers.io

or have a read at the wiki https://github.com/jondot/sneakers/wiki
code is at https://github.com/jondot/sneakers

Since I already built a framework targeted at JRuby
(https://github.com/jondot/frenzy_bunnies) that's rock solid at production
for over a year now, this time the requirement was to create a simple,
performant, framework that would work well on CRuby (the Ruby that we all
know) that allows the use of gems with C-Extensions (unlike JRuby).

I've added a "why i built it" section at the
wiki https://github.com/jondot/sneakers/wiki/Why-i-built-it which will
provide the reasoning for a new framework, and how it's contrasted against
existing frameworks.

All in all, I hope to get some developer feedback, ease of use and API
feedback from you all.
As always I'm accepting pull requests happily :)

Today, Sneakers is run in production for 2 of my own projects doing
Facebook-centric scraping/API calls, and at work doing real time event
processing (which includes considerable I/O).

On a personal note, this was a project that should have ended in a couple
of weekends but took around 2 month worth of weekends because I really
wanted to simplify and streamline every bit, and more importantly because
of some sad lessons life decided to teach me. Eventually, it is done, but
before anything else I really am hoping to hear what you guys think.

Thanks,
Dotan, @jondot