[rabbitmq-discuss] RDQ files filling the disk.

michi.oshima moshima at advent.com
Tue May 21 23:19:46 BST 2013

Hi,

We deploy a couple of RabbitMQ servers.  Say Rabbit1 and Rabbit2.  They are
linked with each other via the Shovel plug-in.  A client publishes messages
to Rabbit1 and another client consumes them from Rabbit2.  Each of these
clients connects to a durable queue.

We recently had an issue where Rabbit1 started taking up a lot of disk
space.  A directory called 'msg_store_transient' got up to some 20 GB,
filled with files with *.rdq extension.  They are about 16MB each in size.
It almost filled up the disk (it's a small disk) and caused our application
(client to Rabbit1) to fail.

Meanwhile, Rabbit2 reportedly have been receiving the messages from Rabbit1.
I also saw no shovel connection related errors in rabbit.log, etc.

Q1. Does this sound plausible?  If so, how could this happen?
Q2. I'm thinking the rdq files are meant to get deleted at some point.  What
would cause the files to *not* get deleted?

Thanks,

Michi Oshima