[rabbitmq-discuss] All nodes in a cluster becomes unresponsive for a short period of time when any node goes down

thomas taihock at gmail.com
Tue May 21 06:39:08 BST 2013

I have 3 RabbitMQ nodes, namely rabbit at A, rabbit at b, rabbit at c in a cluster
with active-mirrored queues HA.
I am using RabbitMQ 3.1.0 with autoheal chosen for
"cluster_partition_handling" and "net_ticktime" set to 2. I tried to
shutdown the network interface instead of shutting down rabbitmq to observe
the behavior and realized that it results in the temporary unresponsiveness
of all the other available nodes for a short period of time.

This was what I did:
1) All the 3 nodes are running as per normal
2) I shutdown the network interface for rabbit at B
3) The other 2 nodes become unresponsive for a short period of time and the
messages sent during that period were mostly lost.

I would like to find out if that is the intended behavior or possibly
something wrong with my setup. Thanks in advance.