[rabbitmq-discuss] After weekly log rotatation was done, the command "rabbitmqctl rotate-logs" never stop

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 15 08:28:54 BST 2013

On 15/05/13 07:52, Nate wrote:
>      After doing the rabbitmqctl rotate_logs, rabbitmq.log.1 show the '
> Rotating logs with suffix '' ' in the end of log file and rabbitmq start
> writing the new logs to rabbitmq.log.

Great. That's good to know. So it appears that everything is well with
your server and that the problem is with the logrotate initiation.

> However, the old rotate process were
> still exist. BTW, my another 3-node cluster has same log rotate issue
> today.....

Did logs get rotated successfully in the past or did all log rotations
get stuck?

> root      8944  0.0  0.0   8668  1052 ?        S    May12   0:00 sh -c ?
> /sbin/service rabbitmq-server rotate-logs > /dev/null? ?
> /sbin/service rabbitmq-server rotate-logs > /dev/null?
> /var/log/rabbitmq/*.log
> root      8946  0.0  0.0   8804  1296 ?        S    May12   0:00 /bin/sh
> /sbin/service rabbitmq-server rotate-logs
> root      8951  0.0  0.0  10896  1392 ?        S    May12   0:00 /bin/sh
> /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server rotate-logs

Your initial report showed a few more processes, including a beam.smp
process. Presumably that's still there too, right? If so, please post
the complete command line for that.

You could just kill that process, but I am keen to get to the bottom of
the problem so am hoping that we will be able to get that process to
tell us where it's stuck.

Regards,

Matthias.