[rabbitmq-discuss] Disable writing to disk

Matthias Reik maze at reik.se
Tue May 14 16:23:00 BST 2013

Hi all,

we have been using RabbitMQ for quite a while and are happy users of it,
but now we got a new requirement to not write, the messages that are
coming through a specific queue, to disk.

Does RabbitMQ support such a use case? I know that with ZeroMQ you can
configure the per-queue "swap" and therefore set it to 0, but we would
prefer to not switch technology.

One alternative would of course be to create a RamDisk and write the
content to that one, but it was clear from this article
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2011/01/20/rabbitmq-backing-stores-databases-and-disks/
that this is not a good solution (even though it might be a solution for
us).

If I understand it, RabbitMQ will only write things to disk if we start
to run low on memory (when we hit the high-watermark?). At the same time
we will also get into flow control, correct? Would be good to get some
confirmation on this.

Ideally we would like that we get into flow-control _before_ we run out
of memory (and therefore before we start writing things to disk). We
would even prefer that the server "crashes" instead of writing the
messages to disk (yeah, extreme approach). One "hacky" approach would of
course observe the memory consumption of the server and just kill it
once we get too close to our high watermark (or set the high watermark
to 1.0?).

So what are the possibilities to fulfill such a (surely unusual)
requirement? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers
Maze