[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Flow Control Behavior Questions

Viral Shah vralshah at gmail.com
Wed May 8 20:05:34 BST 2013

Hi,

     I am using  3.0.4 Java client library/RabbitMQ server and have some
questions about RabbitMQ flow control behavior.

1. What is the recommended way of handling/detecting flow control
invocations on the client side? Is it possible to detect that flow control
has been invoked on the RabbitMQ server by adding FlowListener or any other
method? Is it possible to detect that the connection is blocked on the
client side thru the Java client library or by using some workaround so
that we can stop sending messages and not get the threads stuck in some
RabbitMQ method call until the server comes out of flow control (which may
take longer in some cases).

2. Channel.close() method does not take a timeout value and the thread
remains blocked in case the server is under flow control. Is there a reason
for not having a timeout in the channel close method? If I use
Connection.close() then it does take a timeout value. Is there a list of
methods that get blocked during flow control and which ones are not
affected.

Thanks,
Viral