[rabbitmq-discuss] RMQ Priority QUEUES

reddylast reddylast at gmail.com
Wed May 8 15:28:09 BST 2013

Hi,

I'm using rabbitmq in one of my project and according to the requirements
there can be messages with different priorities (regular, high and urgent).
I know with rabbitmq we can't assign priority at message level, so I started
to create different queues for different priority messages. I've multiple
consumers which consume those messages from the queues and before consuming
a message each consumer checks if there is/are message(s) in higher priority
queue ? then it stops current queue and start to consume messages from
higher priority queue. Till here everything works fine ..but, one thing
which is killing my system is the slow performance by the consumer. I'm also
aware that, this is because my consumer is checking higher priority queues
before consuming every message.

Just wanted to know has anyone ever came across same problem ? if yes then
what would be the possible solution.

Moreover, I'm using basic.get method which also slowing consumer
performance. I wanted to switch to basic.consume method but with that I can
never get to know if the queue is empty or not. Is there any way to know if
queue is empty or not (in basic.consume). ?

Thanks
Reddy