[rabbitmq-discuss] Proposal: Change consumers Round-Robin behaviour

Laing, Michael P. Michael.Laing at nytimes.com
Thu May 2 13:43:53 BST 2013

We often have empty queues. In fact we strive for that state.

We like the current round robin because it predictably exercises each
consumer on the queue. We monitor the processing history (region,
availability zone, instance, service, etc) of each message through the
messaging pipeline. The pipelines may involve multiple clusters and
federated links. Typically we process multiple replicas of the same
message through alternate regional pipelines that ultimately 'fan-in'.
Because of the round robin predictability we can very quickly find 'holes'
and slowdowns by comparing the histories of replicas at resolution time -
then take appropriate action, e.g. Terminate low-performing instances so
auto-scaling will add/cluster new ones.

Additionally we use certain queues to hold mutex tokens. For any one
token, multiple processes subscribe w ack and one of them gets it and does
its work, maybe sleeps for a while, and then nacks - the next process gets
the token and so on. Predictable, exercises each process in turn, and if a
process fails the next one picks up immediately.

Michael