No subject

Thu Mar 14 15:04:54 GMT 2013

messages and physically save them to disk for each of the consumers to read
(1 queue/consumer, 1msg copy/queue). The reason I expected that is because
if messages are ack'ed by consumers 1 and 2, I expected their queue to be
free of their messages while consumer 3 would still need them to be
persisted until it has read them. That was possible a false assumption I
should have verified with you guys. It would indeed be more optimal to
store a single copy of the messages and only keep the metadata. *Is this
correct?*

Also, during a test where I continuously sent (a lot) of messages while my
big consumer 3 was offline. The observation I made then is that *obviously:*
- data was accumulating on disk
- memory usage on all nodes went up. to the point where it eventually
choked the brokers

I assumed then that the increasing memory usage was because the queue and
msg metadata was increasing in Mnesia. This was a decisive factor to me
because I didn't want to be in a situation where my realtime consumers
would be affected by a slow moving elephant. Is there way I could have
avoided that situation I didn't see?

Thanks!

------=_Part_176_25682693.1370614353885

g list in which Alexis Richardson replied, I realized I might have been wro=
ng about what I assumed for the messages storage in RabbitMQ. It won't chan=
ge the decision I made to use Kafka but I'd like to set my own mind right i=
n my conception of how RabbitMQ stores messages. I want to use Rabbit in ot=
her projects as well so I want to have the right picture in my mind.</div><=
p://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-four-python.html</a>.&nbsp;</div><d=
d to multiple topics (called it A, B, C) where the topic is used as the rou=
ubscribes to Topic A (near real-time) - Queue 1</div><div>- Consumer 2 subs=
cribes to Topic B&nbsp;(near real-time)&nbsp;&nbsp;- Queue 2</div><div>- Co=
nsumer 3 subscribes to A, B and C (offline, BI)&nbsp;- Queue 3</div><div><b=
cted Rabbit to route messages and physically save them to disk for each of =
the consumers to read (1 queue/consumer, 1msg copy/queue). The reason I exp=
ected that is because if messages are ack'ed by consumers 1 and 2, I expect=
ed their queue to be free of their messages while consumer 3 would still ne=
ed them to be persisted until it has read them. That was possible a false a=
ssumption I should have verified with you guys. It would indeed be more opt=
imal to store a single copy of the messages and only keep the metadata. <b>=
ontinuously sent (a lot) of messages while my big consumer 3 was offline. T=
ccumulating on disk</div><div>- memory usage on all nodes went up. to the p=

------=_Part_175_26893787.1370614353885--