[rabbitmq-discuss] Timeout blocking or blocked connections

Mark Ward ward.mark at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 15:03:20 GMT 2013

Hi,

I am running RabbitMQ 3.0.4, Erlang R16B on Ubuntu 12.04.

Will RabbitMQ close/timeout a connection in a blocked or blocking state if
the client is no longer connected to the server?

It appears a connection with a timeout and not properly closed does not get
cleaned up by the RabbitMQ server after the specified timeout has elapsed if
the connection is in a blocked and blocking state.  The RabbitMQ server is
still currently in a flow control state if this impacts its ability to clean
these connections.  The unacknowledged messages sent to the currently
blocked connections are also still locked up in the flow control.

I am working to improve my framework when a server invokes flow control.  I
am purposefully pushing the rabbitMQ server into a flow control state.  I
have seen this before and it appears to be repeatable.

I am concerned that during production if a client connection is closed
incorrectly while under a blocked or blocking state any unacknowledged
messages will continue to be held by these connections and would require
administration intervention to resolve the issue.

-Mark