[rabbitmq-discuss] Unacked messages going back in the queue

Pierpaolo Baccichet pierpaolo at dropbox.com
Fri Mar 22 13:24:50 GMT 2013

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the answer! I am skeptical this is due to a network event (I am
running this test extremely isolated on a local VM) and rather think it's
due to some interactions with the client code.

I should have clarified that I am running pika 0.9 with a SelectConnection.
I build a custom library on top of that to deal with my cluster
configuration but the bottom line that I think it's problematic is that I
am handling the processing of the message straight on the IOLoop thread.
This, as you hinted, prevents pika from handling/sending heartbeats
properly. I can fix this in two ways:

1) move the actual processing to a separate thread and let the ioloop go
unstuck. While this is obviously the more straightforward fix, it involves
actually a few changes to my curent structure that I am trying to punt on
2) increase the heartbeat timeout.

For option 2), what is the internal timeout set in Rabbit? Can I increase
it from the client on a per channel basis?

Best, Pier