[rabbitmq-discuss] lager vs sasl error log

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:55:57 GMT 2013

Hi Gavin,

On 21 Mar 2013, at 21:02, "Gavin M. Roy" <gmr at meetme.com> wrote:
> Fwiw in some advocacy discussions, the logging output was a reason some people have discounted or not moved forward with Rabbit.
> From conversations I have had recently with people, logging and config file syntax are the bigger approachachability issues with Rabbit.

That's a pity - the logging is something we could change. The config file syntax, not so much. I suppose we could bootstrap the prelaunch phase to parse and XML file (or whatever) and spew out the native format...

> My goal is to be able to do log aggregation for our largish count of RabbitMQ nodes, which afaik is not possible with Rabbit out of the box. This makes it nearly impossible to stay on top of logs for anything but troubleshooting individual nodes when problems occur.

Yeah with the current implementation you'd need to install your own log handler to make that work. In terms of changing the output format though, allowe to play devil's advocate for a moment...

The info/progress/error reports have a lot of data in them, process stats, stack traces, etc. are you wanting to see all that plonked on one single long line? Because I can see how that'd make parsing/aggregating easier, but not reading them. Does the lager output fit exactly with what you want (I've not looks at it or a couple of years)?