[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Consumer stops responding after some time

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 19 09:27:51 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 19 Mar 2013, at 08:36, VIKALP HANDA wrote:
> Actually I am new to Rabbitmq and am using amqp-c client as a base for my C++ wrapper.
> I have created a consumer which stops responding after some time as well as after bulk of messages being sent to it.

What does 'stops responding' actually mean? Does the consumer cease processing messages (when there are still un-acked messages in the queue(s) it is consuming from) or is the problem something else.

> I have heartbeat count =0 and in the management plugin view its showing that the connections are still live.

Just because the server still sees a connection, doesn't mean that the physical network link remains - operating systems can take 'quite some time' to notice unresponsive peers. Also, I didn't realise that the amqp-c client had support for heartbeats? Perhaps the maintainer can clear that up though, as it's quite possible it does but I've simply forgotten.

> Could you please help me  in rectifying the issue.

We'll do our best to help. If you could clarify what specific (and unexpected) behaviour your seeing in the consumer, then we'll take it from there.

Cheers!
Tim