[rabbitmq-discuss] Keeping idle connections alive in EC2

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Mar 11 12:00:58 GMT 2013

On 08/03/13 21:52, Nishanth Babu Achuthan wrote:
> Typical job processing time is 24 hours. I set up heartbeat_interval =
> 432000 (5 days) . When I tried this earlier, connection dropped off
> approximately after 10 mins.
>
> I tried with heartbeat=0 and looks like it is working. I find the
> connection active after 90 minutes since the message processing started.

Setting heartbeat=0 when connections are expected to be be idle for many
hours seems less than ideal. The risk of the connection getting nuked by
some idle-timeout on a firewall etc must be fairly high with such a setup.

Gavin, is there no better way to deal with this? Could an app perhaps
invoke some pika API function at reasonably regular intervals that would
deal with any inbound/outbound heartbeats received/due since the last
invocation?

Regards,

Matthias.