[rabbitmq-discuss] Huge queues - memory alarm going off

Tim Robertson timrobertson100 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 12:14:04 GMT 2013

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed response Jerry,

Regarding the deadlock it makes good sense to rethink that scenario along
the lines that you suggest.

I've read the chapter 11 having downloaded the ebook version, and if I
understand correctly then, it is really not good practice to deliberately
use RMQ as a large buffering technology for queues, due to the memory
management.  Namely, that if one queue is hugely backed up, we'll get into
a oscillation of:
  i) memory limit hit
  ii) block everything while flush partially to disk
  iii) repeat immediately (while the disabled consumer remains)
While it will work, we'll likely cripple other parts of the system if they
are going through the same broker.

I think this was probably a lack of understanding on our part, as we
anticipated using it as a queue (to do large buffering) whereas I presume
it is (?) really intended to be a messaging system and targeting zero queue
sizes is the expected behavior (consumer throughput matched to producer).

Are there alternative configurations that you are aware of that would allow
it to back up large queues, without hitting memory limits?  (the tokyo
cabinet plugin perhaps?)

We can work around this in our design of course by either swapping out to
another messaging/queuing system completely, or having consumers that pull
from Rabbit and then back up a buffer in another queue (perhaps Kafka or
similar).

Thanks,
Tim