[rabbitmq-discuss] Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at host: nodedown

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 5 09:36:23 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 05/03/13 03:14, Nathan Shirlberg wrote:
> I cant remember if this the right error message or not, but the erlang
> cookies need to match on all rabbit nodes in the same cluster.

> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:06:02 PM UTC-6, Chris Chambers wrote:
>     Status of node rabbit at s2cchef ...
>     Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at s2cchef: nodedown
>     diagnostics:
>     - nodes and their ports on s2cchef: [{rabbitmqctl22520,12034}]
>     - current node: rabbitmqctl22520 at s2cchef
>     - current node home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
>     - current node cookie hash: 7HQZbBfzsJc7oLvzbEsqwA==

This problem can indeed be caused by mismatched erlang cookies if the
broker logfile contains an entry starting with
"Connection attempt from disallowed node..."
The solution is to verify that the cookies (or their hashes) match and
synchronise them if not.

The troubleshooting page lists other possible causes and solutions:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/troubleshooting.html

-Emile